Operation New Dawn 2011

Operation New Dawn 2011
Taking each day as it comes

Sunday, April 24, 2011

March and April come and go.....

Hello from JBB! March has come and gone and April is almost over! Whew! We've been working hard 6 days a week, 10 hrs a day but here are some of the more "exciting" events from the past few months!



                                                        This fish a soldier had while
being treated here at JBB many years ago, the soldier unfortunately didn't survive.  The hospital is trying to get the fish back to his wife and child back in the states since JBB is closing.



 This is what the dust storms look like when they start rolling in.  I didn't take this photo.  We have to wear goggles, face masks helmets and all sorts of gear to keep the dust/sand/dirt out of our mouths/eyes/ears.  It's gross....and the dust covers everything for days!



 Here is me and my co-worker Linda getting to practice shooting at the range.  We are required to carry weapons here now, but this is the only place were allowed to actually have the magazine and ammo in the weapon.










Opening Ceremony

 JBB did a Relay for Life walk on 26-27 March. We put a team together that was AF/Army who work in the Joint Medical Ooperations Building (JMOB) I work in everyday.  The Army units I work with in my building are the Blood Warriors who keep track of how much blood we have and need in Iraq and then the Army Preventive Medicine Unit who test water and do some of the "Occupational Health" duties I do as in the Air Force.  It's been interesting working so closely with the Army, their way of thinking is defiantly different than ours!  However, we came together and walked in honor and memory of the friends/family members we know who have been affected by Cancer. We took 2 hour shifts and walked for 24 hours straight.   The base had different bands and entertainment come out to keep us going through the night.  It was a really great event!

Starting the Night Luminary Ceremony


One of the Army Relay Teams
  

<> Me and Lauren on lap 1
<>
Hard to see but they used light sticks and wrote "HOPE" in the stands, along with we could make luminary bottles that were placed all around the 1/4 mile track.  I made one in Memory of my Papa, Kent Enevoldsen, Leslie Clements and in honor of Cleta Spore, Amos Simpson, Jerri Spore
 

      

For St. Paddy's Day we had a "Mustache Contest", a near-beer pong contest and some other festivities at the hospital.  I won second place for my fabulous stache'.  The horrible part was I hate hair and I couldn't smile without it falling off.  My stache' was actual hair from one of the Army girls "weaves" that she didn't use.  I'm keeping it as a souvenir to give to a co-worker of mine back at Tinker who I always give a hard time about his facial hair. (YUCK!)


Here is our equipment room I've been trying to organize and clean up! The suits in the right corner are our Level A suits that we wear during "unknown" response emergencies.  I've gotten rid of 23 pieces of equipment this past week and still have about 15 more things to get rid of so our next rotation won't have to worry about it.
Here is a picture of Brent and the girls! They are hanging in there.  Brent's mom came and stayed with him and the girls the month of March to help while he worked part time for the Thunder basketball games.  Brent has been adventuring out with the girls to the movies, parks, zoo, omniplex, chuck-e-cheese. 
I've started taking Salsa dance lessons on Monday nights with my old Biology Lab partner, which is super fun! Hopefully I'll get some pics there soon and be able to share them.  Maybe I'll be able to talk Brent into trying dance lessons when I get home...ha ha. 
I'm enjoying the decent weather we are having now (mid 70's/80's) and I try to go to the pool once a week to get some sun....amazing what some Vitamin D can do for the soul.  The pool is an olympic sized pool that was convieniently here when we decided to build up the base.  I get to go test the water at the pool every other Friday and I'm trying to get my boss to just let me spend the day there on the days I have to test the water....just in case of any "emergencies" - he still hasn't agreed!
I'm finally down to 60something days.  This past week was a tough one for my family remembering the final days my papa was with us, but we also got to celebrate my mom's birthday and life we still have with her.

I hope everyone is taking care of yourself and eachother! Keep smiling.........

No comments:

Post a Comment